🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 H A P P Y F O U R T H O F J U L Y ! ! ! ! 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
This year, I decided not to purchase any patriotic swag, but I did remember to pick up my favorite childhood patriotic popsicle, Firecrackers! I distinctly remember them tasting like freedom…
Growing up outside of Philadelphia, PA, I am used to everyone going all out when celebrating Independence Day. As a kid, I either watched the fireworks going off over the bridge in Philly from my bedroom window or attended fireworks shows in my town. The fourth of July calls for BBQs, pies, parades, fireworks and a whole lot of red, white and blue on everyone and everything! Here’s a snapshot of the yummy cooked apples my Mom prepares for the 4th every year.
Now that patriotic apparel is trendy, it’s easy to find clothing in stores that represents ‘mmmerica. If you’re not in the mood to buy patriotic apparel, making your own is simpler done than said! My friend, Canon has a great how-to post for painting stars and stripes on shorts. Canon also wrote up posts featuring a patriotic themed dish and dessert you can prepare!
And if you would prefer to not go overboard like me, there’s always the option of choosing one color to wear for the day. I paired this old Coca Cola shirt that I was given at a concert years ago with my Free People floral headband and Lucky Brand shorts. It’s hard to tell, but I’m also wearing a silver eagle ring that I purchased from Lucky Brand last year. This arrangement looks like an outfit I wold normally wear, yet goes along with the American theme of Independence Day!
Even the little things like painting your nails count as participating in the festivities! Last night, I created my own interpretation of American flag nails. I have a darker blue polish, but opted for the Tiffany blue instead because why not? Since I can’t make stars, I used silver glitter on top. As for the red and white stripes…I only had silver, so I did my best making the stripes! It took SO LONG- I’m talking almost an hour.
Below, I have compiled a playlist of songs that fill me with that good old-fashioned American pride:
CD 1: STARS
- Bruce Springsteen- Born in the USA
- Elton John- Philadelphia Freedom
- James Brown- Living In America
- Ray Charles- America the Beautiful
- Miley Cyrus- Party in the USA
- Katy Perry- Firework
- Marina and The Diamonds- Hollywood
- Lana Del Rey- National Anthem
- Ellie Goulding- Starry Eyed
- Corinne Bailey Rae- Like A Star
CD 2: STRIPES
- Tennis- Origins
- Youth Lagoon- Cannons
- Bag Raiders- Shooting Stars
- Cobra Starship- We Hot American Summer
- Lady GaGa- Americano
- Destiny’s Child- Independent Women Part I
- Kanye West & Jay-Z- Made In America (feat. Frank Ocean)
- Beastie Boys- Fight For Your Right
- Green Day- American Idiot
- Augustana- Stars and Boulevards